Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Day #15: It is possible to enjoy your own company.. Who knew?

I used to be an only child.  Those were fun times.. I had daddy and mommy all to myself. No sharing.  Just us in our happy little 3 person family. Until..

I'm just kidding.  I'm not going to go off about my family.  The point I was originally trying to make was when I was an only child I had to learn to not only endure but also enjoy my own company.  Of course, mom was usually there to play dinosaurs with me at my beckoned call.  But there were times when she just needed a break (I don't blame her).  So with dad at work and her enjoying "mommy time" I was left to fend for myself in the world a.k.a my room.  So I had to enjoy my own company.  Which, I'm sure I did.

Now fast forward 10 years..

We have three of us!  While I learned to be content with playing alone, Jordan is a very different story.  She is completely dependent on us to entertain her.  Sydney normally answers the call, but occasionally she comes begging to me.  "Connnoww come jump on the trampoline with me"  "Connowww come help me with gymnastics."  I love her and I love hanging out with her, but there are times when I wish she would just go off and entertain herself.   She does occasionally go off and play by herself, but as the word "occasional" suggests, this isn't something that happens often.

We won't always have people around us and we don't have to constantly be entertained by other people. Yes, while we social beings by nature sometimes we just need to learn to enjoy our own company.  I love going off by myself to think.  No one to distract me, just to be alone.  You don't always have to be alone, but when you are.. just enjoy it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment