Monday, February 14, 2011

When Two Different Worlds Collide: A look at Love


love  |ləv| (n)-  An Intense feeling of deep affection.

The other day I had the pleasure of going to the Daily Grind for some coffee and blogging (The Daily Grind is a small coffee shop in Boerne, for those of you who do not dwell here.)  And as I was sitting there I was confronted with two different scenarios.  At one table in the small coffee shop sat a family of three; a mom, a dad and a teenage boy about 15 or 16.  they talked together and they prayed together.  From what I could see, they seemed very close knit.  My writing was interrupted by another table in which a girl sat with her father.  She yelled at him while he tried desperately to settle things without too much disruption.  She wouldn't give him any chances to talk, and when she did, she quickly interrupted him.  After about 10 minutes of this she got up and stormed out, towards her car I figured.

I sat there, overcome with thought and realized that this would be a great blog entry.  But what would be the moral of this story?  I couldn't figure it out.  So I pulled out my trusty Macbook and quickly typed some things.  I decided I'd put the blog on hold (Or saved it as a draft, whichever you prefer to say.)  And pray about it.  Well, today is the day of valentines and as I was heading over to the Daily Grind.. Again..  It hit me!

Looking back at those two instances, I noticed that one of the lacked what the other one possessed; love.  Of course, I don't know how that girl actually felt about her father, but at that moment, all I saw was bitterness and feelings of betrayal.   While, in the other family, I could see the Love.   And since today is valentines day, or the day of Love I thought I'd write a few lines on it.  Real Love is a very powerful bond, that is a huge helper in the preservation of families.  But I'm not talking about that kind of Love that only, well, loves for selfish reasons.  I'm talking about selfless Love that allows for sacrificing between people or in families.  That girl wasn't sacrificing a whole lot for her father.  She was overcome with selfish ambition.  Selfish love will eventually bring destruction while selfless love preserves unity.

So with that thought for the day, Hope everyone has a fantastic Valentines Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment