Thursday, March 17, 2011

There's a first time for everything

I was excited when my mom informed me last night that our Friday trip to Six Flags was being moved to today.  I haven't been to the park in about a year (Due to a then 4 year old who wouldn't find following me around all day, roller coaster after roller coaster, appealing). So this was great!  There is something about roller coasters.  I love them!  What can I say?  My soon to be 12 year old sister, on the other hand, does not.  Until today, she had been fine with the "little coasters".  Much to my dismay, this choice often left me riding alone.  But today, my friends, was the day, she had dared herself to ride at least one scary roller coaster.  She even posted it on Skype with hopes that her buddies would keep her accountable.  After about the first 30 minutes of being there we located the roller coaster of choice, the Boomerang!  We got in line (A long line at that, no thanks to spring break) and waited until it was our turn.  After about 25 minutes in that dreadful line, we crossed a certain point and I took it upon myself to inform my sister that now.. there was no turning back.  She was getting on the roller coaster if I had to drag her kicking and screaming.  She gave me an amused smile and the wait continued.  Finally! It was our turn.  While most people prefer the front of the ride, I raced to the back.  (If you've ever seen the Boomerang, you'll understand)  The back gets the highest drop, and you know what this means.. more drop- more butterflies!

Well,  human emotions can change in an instant!  We were buckled in and the sloped ascension began!  On the way up I made sure to remind the happy go lucky 11 year old next to me that the drop was steep.  (Just to make sure she was prepared) And she just smiled in bliss. "Oh boy" I thought, "She has no idea".  We soon reached the top and without warning.. It dropped!  Well, her smile vanished and was instead replaced with continuous screams of "I HATE YOU! I HATE YOU! I HATE YOU!" throughout the entire minute long ride. While she continued to scream I just smiled, but not with a look of  I told you so!  Because frankly, I didn't really tell her so. I rode with a look of contentment.  After a few turns, being dangled upside down and riding backwards, the ride came to an abrupt halt.  All three of us exited and headed out, occaisonally stealing glances at the poor people still waiting in line and deciding whether or not the ride was actually worth the wait.  We concluded that yes, it was.  Sydney turns to me, hugs me and says "Thank you Conner, I love you!".  Remember what I said about human emotions and their capacity to change quickly?  All in about five minutes, Sydney goes from hating me to loving me.  Awhhh! Well I guess that's what amusement parks are for! Right?  And like I said, There's a first time for everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment