Friday, July 1, 2011

Day #4: "A good listener is a silent flatterer."

"If A equals success, then the formula is, A equals X plus Y plus Z, with X being work, Y play, and Z keeping your mouth shut." ~Albert Einstein

Guys are loud. They are usually very opinionated, and headstrong, with egos the size of Mars.



I'm no exception. I have times, like almost every other guy, where I want my way, my method, or my side of the story to be heard, and this all originates from a lack of self-control. Essentially, most of the time, we have no clue when the time has come to shut up. Too much do do, too many people to impress to give me any extra time for you!

Because we are in such a hurry to get things done our way, sometimes the results aren't pretty. Like the time I didn't stop long enough to think out my plan, or to heed the warning from my mom, (because she warns me about everything) of how I was going to pull myself 35 feet into the air with just a rope and a pully, and cause the death of my brother, or the millions of times I've ignored my dad's reminders to be thorough in my work, because I think that way is inefficient. Maybe it's time to listen to somebody else for a change, and maybe our quality of life would improve some. Oliver Wendell Holmes said, "It is the province of knowledge to speak, but it is the province of wisdom to listen."

Another problem with being unable to hear over our own ruckus, is it keeps us from hearing God's voice. God's voice is one that is very hard to hear, and often it is very difficult to tell the difference between him speaking, and our own thoughts. To hear him clearly, we must make an effort to listen. To get away from our distractions, and listen to what he may have to tell us. There are so many things that distract us, our computers, TV's, Ipods, gadget's and games, not to mention our everyday grind that drags us away from simply listening.

Apart from God every activity is merely a passing whiff of insignificance.  ~Alfred North Whitehead


~Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment